Saturday, July 21, 2007

Trust

Relationship-building with teachers, students, parents, and the community at large is probably the most important part of being a school librarian. Even as the children's librarian at the public library, I find that building relationships is one of the most integral parts of fulfilling my role effectively. The technology aspect really works to enhance these relationships... every time we initiate any one of the "techie" things were learning in this class in our workplace, if we keep this at the forefront then we'll all be successful.

As I'm nearing the end of the my library studies, I'm really starting to buy into our value! I mean, I always knew that libraries are the cornerstones of the community and the heart of the school, but the actual role of librarian was always somewhat fuzzy to me. Unfortunately, I'm not alone... patrons don't have a clue about how a library is structured, or what librarians actually do. People always look at me somewhat perplexed when I tell them about my crazy day at the library. I even had one neighbour say to me when I told him about my schooling, "ha, you may as well make $20 an hour checking out books!" Librarians have never been very good at marketing themselves. I think with these technology tools, we'll be able to smack people in the face and let them know we can help! Now that our roles are demanding an understanding of technology, we'll be more visible or at least more valued in the community's eyes. At the very least, our role will be more highlighted as the information professionals we are...

Along the same lines, relationship building requires a huge investment of time and energy on all ends. HUGE. In my neck of the woods, we have a crazy "temporary contract" phenomena swooping our school system. If school systems aren't willing to gaurantee a continuing contract for their teachers and teacher librarians, this relationship-building goes all to pot. I sure hope this changes with the rash of retirements everyone keeps talking about! (I came into teaching six and a half years ago and when I graduated from teacher's college, they told us all "in the next five years you'll have your pick of jobs." Still not seeing that happen). Patience, patience, patience.

1 comment:

Linda Braun said...

That does sound like a crazy phenomena. Good luck with that! ;)

In terms of time, the time it takes to build relationships definitely pays off in the end. It might take a lot of time up-front but when it's all done, OMG, the things you can accomplish and the time you can save.

In terms of selling ourselves, you are absolutely right. We have done a terrible job in the past and I worry actually that we won't do any better now. It's not telling people that we are hip, it's telling people that we are smart, informed, and knowledgeable about technology. People have to trust that we are worth the $ they pay for our salaries.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.